While there are plenty of over-the-counter medications to help ease the symptoms of flu, there are some general steps to take when sick:
- Get plenty of rest.
- Drink a lot of liquids (especially water).
- Avoid using alcohol and tobacco.
- Consider taking over-the-counter medications to relieve your flu symptoms (but always read the label to make sure the medication is appropriate for you and never give aspirin to children or teenagers who have flu-like symptoms).
- Stay home and avoid contact with other people - not only do you need rest, but you can help prevent the spread of flu by avoiding contact with others.
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze and wash your hands frequently with soap to further protect others from your germs.